Head of the Department – Marinashvili Malvina, associate professor, PhD in Linguistics
Staff of the Department
- Head of the Department, PhD in Linguistics, associate professor Marinashvili Malvina
- Doctor of Pedagogy, full professor Kniazian Marianna
- PhD in Linguistics, associate professor Vesna Tetiana
- PhD in Linguistics, associate professor Dragomyretskyy Oleksiy
- PhD in Linguistics, associate professor Kokkina Lilita
- PhD in Linguistics, associate professor Mlynchyk Andriy
- PhD in Linguistics, associate professor Panchenko Inna
- PhD in Linguistics, associate professor Teletska Tetiana
- senior lecturer Romaniuk Diana
- senior assistant Agayeva Olga
The history of the department of French Philology began in 1936, when the faculty of the French language was established at Odessa Pedagogical Institute of Foreign Languages.
The department of French Philology at Odessa I.I. Mechnikov National University has existed since 1960, when the Odessa Pedagogical Institute of Foreign Languages became a member of the University as a faculty, known as “the Faculty of Romance and Germanic Philology".
Since the formation of the Institute of Foreign Languages the heads of the department of French philology in different periods were: Elizabeth Eudar-Babaytseva, Petro Dav, Galina Bogdanova, Aksentiy Gritsenko, Ludmila Baidak.
From 1985 to 2008, the department was headed by the PhD in Linguistics, Associate Professor Elya Kostylyova, the Cavalier of “the Order of Academic Palms" (France). She made a great contribution to the preparation of the scientific and pedagogical staff of the department. Under her guidance, the candidates’ dissertations of associate professors of the department, including the works of Andriy Mlynchyk, Malvina Marinashvili, Inna Panchenko, Tetiana Vesna, Tetiana Teletska were defended.
Since 2008, the department of French Philology is headed by the PhD in Linguistics, Associate Professor Malvina Marinashvili, whose scientific activity is related to the research in the fields of translation studies, contrastive linguistics, grammar of the French language. She is the author of more than 80 scientific and methodological works. From 2007 to 2010 she headed the educational and methodical committee of the Faculty of Romance and Germanic Philology. Malvina Marinashvili is the scientific advisor of students’ diploma papers and post-graduate students’ scientific works. 4 PhD theses were defended under her guidance. From 2001 to 2006 she was a member of the Specialized Academic Council K 41.051.02 at the Faculty of Romance and Germanic Philology. Malvina Marinashvili is a member of Academic Council of the Faculty of Romance and Germanic Philology and a member of Academic Council of Odessa National I.I. Mechnikov University. Since 2001 she has been managing the research activities of the Department of French Philology. Malvina Marinashvili is the head of the jury of the second stage of the All-Ukrainian French language competition for the defense of research works of the pupils, members of the Minor Academy of Sciences. She is awarded with the diploma of the Southern Scientific Centre of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine and the Ministry of Education and Science and the Council of Rectors of higher education institutions of the Odessa region for the long-standing scientific activity and a significant contribution to the development of scientific and technical potential in the region.
The department of French Philology maintains a long-standing tradition of cooperating with higher education institutions, public, cultural and educational organizations of France. The staff of the department was at the root of the establishment of the public organization "Alliance Françoise" (1991) in Odessa, headed by Associate Professors of the department – Aksentiy Gritsenko and Andriy Mlynchyk. Currently, the department continues to actively cooperate with "Alliance Française" in Odessa. Due to the Embassy of France in Ukraine and "Alliance Française", the department of French Philology has an extensive library of French scientific, methodological and fiction literature.
From 1967 to 1995, professors from France worked at the department. Beginning with 1996, on the basis of the agreement between Odessa I.I. Mechnikov National University and the Embassy of France in Ukraine each year specialists from France in the field of teaching French as a foreign language undergo a traineeship at the department.
Professors and post-graduate students of the department have an opportunity to receive a scholarship on a competitive basis from the Embassy of France to undergo a scientific and professional internship in France: at the University of Provence (in Marseille); at the University of Lorraine in Metz; at "Alliance Française" in Paris; at the University of Poitiers. Close relations with the International Cultural Association "French without Borders" allow students of the faculty to improve their language skills and proficiency by studying at the International Summer Camps and Language Schools in France.
The professors of the department are the members of the "Association of French Language Teachers of Ukraine" and the members of the organization "Alliance Française" in Odessa.
The department of French Philology is the coordinator of the cooperation between the departments of the University and the Office of the University Agency of Francophonie in Central and Eastern Europe. The Agency's programmes are aimed at supporting the mobility of students, teachers and scholars; at encouraging and financing contacts between universities that are members of the Agency of Francophonie; at supporting conferences, seminars, including distance learning, professional and scientific internships, joint guidance of dissertations and diploma works, the creation of scientific associations, etc.
In October 2017, a French Language Center (room 170) was opened at the Faculty of Romance and Germanic Philology, equipped with the technical means for studying received as a gift from the AUF department in Chisinau.
Educational activity of the department consists of preparing specialists of higher education levels of bachelor's and master's degrees in several areas. Mainly, it is an education of students of the Faculty of Romance and Germanic Philology, future teachers of the French and English languages and French language interpreters. The professors of the department also introduce students to the scientific and philological world, acquainting them with theoretical courses of introduction to Romance philology, history of language, theoretical grammar, etc.; offering students a number of special courses on the subject of their own research.
Theoretical and practical academic disciplines are taught by the specialists of the department.
According to the educational and professional programme for the bachelor's degree recipients:
- Main foreign language (French)
- Second foreign language (French)
- Third foreign language (French)
- Introduction to Romance Philology
- The history of the French language
- Theoretical grammar
- Theoretical phonetics
- Lingua country studies of the first foreign language
- Lingua country studies of the second foreign language
- The basics of academic research
- The basics of the language communication theory
- Teaching methodology of the foreign language
- The practice of translation
- Business language translation
According to the educational and professional programme for the master's degree recipients:
- Main foreign language and the practice of translation from the main foreign language
- Second foreign language
- Third foreign language
- The theory and practice of translation
- Teaching methodology of the foreign language in high school
- Intercultural communication
- Current problems of romanistics
- Modern grammatical schools
The following selective discipline is taught for post-graduate students:
- The main branches of French linguistics in XX-XXI centuries
The following special courses are taught by the specialists of the department:
- Business French
- Normative and affective syntax of French
- Synthesis, Analysis and Resume of the French Text
The professors of the department have elaborated a number of special courses that are offered as selective disciplines in the 2020/2021 academic year:
For higher education bachelor's degree recipients:
- Techniques of social and pedagogical influence on students in the learning process
- French punctuation
- Country studies: Canada. Overseas territories and departments of France
- Introduction to terminology: experience of French-speaking countries
- Modern French lexicography
- Functional and semantic features of French modal verbs
- Argumentative discourse
- Modern French political and mass media discourse
- French perfume discourse
- Features of French speech etiquette
- Peculiarities of French written communication in the field of tourism
- The affective syntax of modern French
For higher education master's degree recipients:
- Educational innovations in language teaching
- Intercultural Communication
- French academic discourse
- Introduction to oral interpretation
Professors of the department manage the pedagogical, translation and assistant practice, as well as providing scientific guidance to students in writing coursework and diploma papers.
The professors of the department develop the research work № 202 "Semantic-cognitive and functional-pragmatic study of the French language" (deadline: 01/04/2019-31/12/2023) (ONU Order No. 721-18 of 03/04/2019). State Registration Number 0119U002444. Head of Research: Associate Professor - Malvina Marinashvili.
According to the research topic, professors publish articles, theses, manuals, and submit for approval the results of their research at the All-Ukrainian and foreign conferences.
The following PhD theses were defended within the research work of the department:
- Vesna T.V. "Ideological and National-and-Cultural Components in the Semantic Structure of the Political Discourse Vocabulary (on the material of the French and Russian-language press of the 90s)", specialization: 10.02.15 - General Linguistics (Odessa, 2002). Head of Research: Associate Professor - Elya Kostylyova.
- Ruliova O.O. "Nominal Aspect of Children's Speech (Based on the French, Greek, English and Ukrainian languages)," Specialization: 10/02/15 - General Linguistics (Odessa, 2002). Head of Research: Associate Professor - Elya Kostylyova.
- Dragomyretskyy O.O. "Semantic Types and Reference Structure of Hypothetical Modality Statements (Based on the French, English and Ukrainian languages)", Specialization: 10.02.15 - General Linguistics (Odessa, 2004). Head of Research: Associate Professor - Malvina Marinashvili.
- Udovenko I.V. "Structural-semantic and functional peculiarities of French procedural indicator intensifiers", specializaion: 10.05.05 - Romance Languages (Kyiv, 2005). Head of Research: Associate Professor - Malvina Marinashvili.
- Teletska T.V. "Subject Modality and Modality of Probability in Language and Speech (Based on the Ukrainian, Russian, French and English languages)," Specialization: 10.02.15 - General Linguistics (Odessa, 2005). Head of Research: Associate Professor - Elya Kostylyova.
- Branytska Y.V. «Gastronims in Modern French: A Cognitive-Onomasiological Aspect", Specialization: 10.02.05 - Romance Languages (Kyiv, 2009). Head of Research: Associate Professor - Malvina Marinashvili.
- Kokkina L.R. "Means of expression of the semantic category of passivity in the original and translated works (on the material of Ukrainian translations of French literary fiction texts)", specialization.: 10.02.16 - Translation studies (Kiev, 2010). Head of Research: Associate Professor - Malvina Marinashvili.
In 2010 and 2015, on the basis of the Department of French Philology, respectively, the Third and the Fifth All-Ukrainian Scientific Conferences of Romanists were held, dedicated to the theme of "Structural-Semantic and Cognitive-Discursive Paradigms of Modern Romance Linguistics".
In October 2019, the professors of the department, supported by the French Embassy in Ukraine and the Francophone University Agency, convened the Third International Francophone Conference in Ukraine entitled as "Languages. Sciences and Practices", which was attended by more than 200 scholars and professors from more than 20 countries: Algeria, Belgium, Belarus, Burkina Faso, Armenia, Greece, Egypt, Congo, The Ivory Coast, Lebanon, Lithuania, Madagascar, Morocco, Moldova, Poland, Senegal, Tunisia, Turkey, France, Ukraine, Czech Republic, Montenegro.
The department holds annual student scientific conferences and reporting conferences of faculty members devoted to contemporary problems of linguistics and translation studies.
Room 125, Frantsuzky Boulevard 24/26, 65015, Odessa, Ukraine