Purposeful activity of different generations of scientists of the University during the 150 years of its existence has provided the creation of numerous internationally recognized research schools of teachers, physicists, mathematicians, biologists, linguists and philosophers. They all share an understanding of the need to direct their efforts to deepen basic and applied scientific research to ensure the consistent development of the socio-economic and humanitarian spheres of life of Ukrainian society.
The scientific activity of the Odessa National University is implemented in accordance with the laws of Ukraine "About Higher Education", "About Education", "About the scientific and technical activities".
According to the order of Ministry of education and science of Ukraine from 13 December 2007 the University entered into the State Register of scientific institutions which are provided by state support.
Development of scientific research is a priority in the activities of the University.
Research is carried out in the ONU at 15 faculties, institutes, centers and scientific structure which includes:
• Research Institute "Astronomical Observatory" - founded in 1871;
• Research Institute of Physics - the first scientific institute of physical profile in Ukraine, created in 1926;
• Research Institute of Combustion and Non-traditional Technologies - the only Ukrainian institute of this profile;
• 11 scientific-educational centers
• 16 research laboratories.
Scientific research also are provided by:
• Scientific Library, founded in 1817, which has a fund of more than 3,6 millions of book volume;
• Botanical Garden, founded in 1867;
• Hydrobiological Station, founded in 1902;
• Petrography-Mineralogical Museum, founded in 1865;
• Zoological Museum, founded in the early XIX century;
• Paleontological Museum, created in 1873.
22 academic schools function in the University.