Head of the Department of German Philology, Associate professor, PhD in Linguistics Iryna Kulina
Lecturers and staff of the department
- PhD in Linguistics, Full Professor L.M. Golubenko
- PhD in Linguistics, Associate Professor I.G. Kulina
- Doctor of Pedagogical Sciences, Full Professor N.Yu.Kolesnychenko
- PhD in Linguistics, Associate Professor I.I. Azarova
- PhD in Linguistics, Associate Professor S.S. Boguslavsky
- PhD in Linguistics, Associate Professor L.L. Bukreeva
- PhD in Pedagogy, Associate Professor T.D. Verbyts’ka
- PhD in Linguistics, Associate Professor M.A. Didenko
- PhD in Linguistics, Associate Professor Yu.G. Monastyrs’ka
- PhD in Linguistics, Associate Professor I.V. Nikiforenko
- PhD in Pedagody, Associate Professor K.M. Pylypiuk
- PhD in Linguistics, Associate Professor O.M. Chumakov
- PhD in Linguistics, Senior Lecturer L.M. Zoshchenko
- PhD in Linguistics, Senior Lecturer Yu. V. Ivanyts’ka
- Senior Lecturer L.O. Berlins’ka
- Senior Lecturer O.L. Melnichuk
- Senior Lecturer K.I. Timofeeva
- Lecturer I.O. Nikitins’ka
- Laboratory assistant O.S.Yaner
The Department of German Philology makes its history from the German Sector, founded at the Institute of National Education (INO) in Odesa by the decree of the Presidium of the Main Directorate of Vocational Education of Ukraine of June 26, 1924. The main aim of the German Sector was the preparation of teachers and educators for German education institutions (schools, orphanages, kindergartens, clubs, libraries) in the places of residence of Germans. In 1924, the first set of students (40 people) were enrolled for a preparatory department with a term of study of 1 year, after which the training continued at the Faculty of Social Education for 4 years.
In 1933 Odesa German Pedagogical University was founded on the basis of the German Sector. Professor A.N. Strem, Associate Professors Denk, Hoffmann, Neumak taught at the Institute; here lectures were also given by German Communists who had fled Hitler's Germany, including writer Willi Bredel and playwright Friedrich Wolf.
After 1938 the Pedagogical Institute of Foreign Languages was founded, including the faculties of the English, German and French languages. It trained teachers for schools and higher education institutions and in 1960 it merged with Odessa State University. It was then that the Department of German Philology started its chronology. At that time, it was headed by associate professor, Ph.D in linguistics Kozhukhar D.A., a researcher in the field of theoretical grammar of the German language. Leading Germanists such as Y.Y. Neudorf, A.M. Prodilailo, M.Z. Jatsy made a contribution to the study of history of language and lexicology. For many years distinguished lecturers worked at the department: Sofronova Zh.Y, Orlova I.M., Solomonova T.S., Lipets’ka E.V., Druteiko E.S., Sukhovets’ka L.I.
In the early 70s the department was headed by doctor of philological sciences, full professor V.G. Taranets’. For many years he was actively engaged in phonetic studies of the German language and the history of its development. The outstanding scientist is the author of the energy theory of speech. Six published monographs testify to the results of his numerous studies. Professor V.G. Taranets’ also created his own scientific school: under his supervision 17 PhD theses were defended, whereas his students work at our university as well as other leading universities of the country.
The center for German country studies was founded at the department. It has a large number of resources for country studies as well as scientific and methodological information.
The prospective plan for qualitative improvement of the educational and methodological base stipulates the creation of methodological material and the purchase of new textbooks if the funds from extra-budgetary receipts in the faculty subaccount permit this. The growth of scientific and human resources is achieved through postgraduate and doctoral preparation of the lecturers and associate professors of the Department according to the approved plan. Scientific, methodological and educational work at the Department is carried out in accordance with the legislative and regulatory documents in force in the field of higher education: this is the Law on Education in Ukraine, the Orders of the Principal of ONU, the orders of the Dean’s Office. Accumulated theoretical knowledge is the basis of theoretical research, which is carried out in the form of coursework, diploma papers, Master's theses. They enrich the general linguistic basis on which the dissertation investigations are conducted within the framework of the topic of this department.
The specialists of the department teach a number of theoretical and practical disciplines.
At the educational level of "Bachelor" the staff of the department teach the following compulsory disciplines:
- German as a main foreign language;
- German as a second foreign language;
- Introduction to German Philology;
- History of the German language;
- Theoretical grammar of the German language;
- Methods of teaching a foreign language;
At the educational level of "Master" the staff of the department teach the following compulsory disciplines:
- German as a main foreign language;
- German as a second foreign language;
- Problems of German Studies;
- Theory and Practice of Translation;
- Modern Grammar Trends;
Specialists of the department teach the following optional disciplines:
- Functioning of Language Units for Special Purposes in the National Language;
- Online Teaching and Education: Introduction to Data Wise: A Common Process for Improving Learning and Teaching;
- Variability of German speech in the language of mass media;
- Trends in Modern German;
- Linguistic connection of Old High German dialects with modern German dialects;
- German in Austria: diversity and change;
- The syntax of a simple sentence in German;
- The syntax of a complex sentence in German;
- Semantic processes in German vocabulary;
- Features of the theory of mediation: basic course;
- Gender linguistics;
Special theoretical courses are delivered on the basis of the results of the research work of the specialists of the department.
The specialists of the department also provide guidance on pedagogical, translation and assistant practice, as well as the supervision of students’ scientific papers.
The department conducts scientific research. The staff of the Department are engaged in the following scientific problems: Research topic № 199: “The Study of the Variation of Communicative Units in the Languages of the German Sprachraum”. The state registration number is 0119 U002441. Deadline: 01/04/19-31/12/2023. The Head of research is PhD in linguistics, associate professor I.G. Kulina. Within the framework of the research topic, the researchers publish articles, abstracts, monographs, textbooks, approve the results of their research at conferences in our country and abroad, as well as defend doctoral and PhD theses.
The staff of the department actively supervise students' scientific work. The result of this work is presented at international and All-Ukrainian conferences and competitions. The best students’ scientific papers are recommended for participation in the All-Ukrainian competition of Students’ Scientific Papers. The aim of such activities is to identify the most prepared and apt students so as to involve them in scientific work in the future.
From 2008 to 2020 such PhD theses were defended at the department:
- L.M. Zoshchenko. The Concept of "Time" and its Realization in German. (2008, Odesa I.I. Mechnikov National University, scientific advisor - Prof. V.G. Taranets’);
- Yu.V. Ivanyts’ka. The Origin, Development and Functioning of Grammatical Number in the German Language (on the Material of German Nouns). (2008, Odesa I. I. Mechnikov National University, scientific advisor - Prof. V.G. Taranets’);
- N. Yu. Kolesnychenko. Linguopoetics of German and English Chick-Lit (Romance): A Gender Aspect. (2008, Odesa I.I. Mechnikov National University, scientific advisor - Prof. V.A. Kukharenko);
- T.V. Grishina. Functioning of the Glottal Stop in German Biphonemic Combinations of Vowels (Instrumental-Phonetic Study). (2010, Odesa I.I. Mechnikov National University, scientific advisor - Assoc. Prof. T.D. Verbyts’ka);
- S.S. Boguslavs’ky. Football Terminology in German. (2010 Odesa I.I. Mechnikov National University, scientific advisor - Prof. L.N. Golubenko);
- G.A. Artiukhova. Rhetorical and Prosodic Features of German Rallying Discourse (Instrumental-Phonetic Study) (2011, Odesa I.I. Mechnikov National University, scientific advisor - Prof. N.V. Petliuchenko);
- N.M. Didenko. Irony as a Component of G. Grass's Linguistic and Conceptual Worldview (2011, Odesa I.I. Mechnikov National University, scientific advisor - Assoc. Prof. L. Bukreeva);
- O.O. Turisheva. The Violation of the Frame Construction in Modern German: Functional Aspect, Normative Status (2011, Kyiv National University, scientific advisor - Prof. L.I. Prokopova);
- A.B. Skliarenko. Genre-stylistic Dominant of Short Stories by I. Bachman (2012, Odesa I.I. Mechnikov National University, scientific advisor - Assoc. Prof. E.P. Tylchenko);
- L.S. Ivashkevych. Formation of Philosophical Concepts of the German Language on the Basis of Words of German Origin (2012, Kyiv National University, scientific advisor - Prof. L.I. Prokopova);
- I.I. Azarova. The Realization of Vocalism in Anglicisms in German Television Discourse (an Instrumental-Phonetic Study on the Material of Sounding Speech). (2013, Odesa I.I. Mechnikov National University, scientific advisor - Assoc. Prof. T.D. Verbyts’ka);
- Yu.G. Monastyrs’ka. Phonetic Adaptation of Consonantism in Anglicisms and Gallicisms to the German Pronunciation Standards (Instrumental-Phonetic Study on the Material of German Television Discourse). (2014, Odessa I.I. Mechnikov National University, scientific advisor - Assoc. Prof. T.D. Verbyts’ka);
- K.M. Pylypiuk. Preparation of Future Teachers - Philologists at German Universities Working with Pedagogically Neglected Adolescents). (2014, Odesa I.I. Mechnikov National University, scientific advisor – Prof. M.O. Kniazian)
- Yu. O. Berezina. Status of Plosive Consonants b, d, g, p, t, k in the German Language (Diachronic Study)” (2017, Odesa I.I. Mechnikov National University, scientific advisor – Assoc. Prof. I.G. Kulina);
- O.V. Glushchenko "Development and Functioning of the Diphthongs in the German Language (Diachronic Study)" (2018, Odesa I.I. Mechnikov National University, acientific advisor - Assoc. Prof. I.G. Kulina).
Room 154, Frantsuz’ky Bulvar 24/26, 65058, Odesa, Ukraine