Olena A. Bachynska
The head of the Department, Doctor of Historical Sciences, Professor
The Department of History of Ukraine is university sciences of historical ukrainian studies
The Chair of History of Ukraine as a center of studies Ukraine of the University
The staff of the chair
The Department of History of Ukraine presents the Ukrainian studies at the University and beyond. For now, the Department has 12 scientists:
- The head of the Department, Doctor of Historical Sciences, Professor Olena A. Bachynska
- Doctor of Historical Sciences, associate Professor, Professor Taras S. Vintskovskyi
- Doctor of Historical Sciences, Professor Taras H. Goncharuk
- Doctor of Historical Sciences, Professor Natalya M. Dianova
- Doctor of Historical Sciences, Professor Vadym M.Khmarskyi
- PhD in Historical Sciences (Candidate of Historical Sciences), associate Professor Viacheslav O. Kuznietsov
- PhD in Historical Sciences (Candidate of Historical Sciences), associate Professor Olexandr Y. Muzychko
- PhD in Historical Sciences (Candidate of Historical Sciences), associate Professor Liudmyla V. Novikova
- PhD in Historical Sciences (Candidate of Historical Sciences), associate Professor Eduard P. Petrovskyi
- PhD in Historical Sciences (Candidate of Historical Sciences), associate Professor Volodymyr M. Poltorak
- PhD in Historical Sciences (Candidate of Historical Sciences), associate Professor Olena O. Synyavska
- PhD in Historical Sciences (Candidate of Historical Sciences), associate Professor Galyna S. Levchenko
- the senior laboratory assistant Hanna O. Badeeva
- the senior laboratory assistant Viktoriia S. Nikichuk
Educational and training-methodical work
Members of the Department are reading a variety of general and special courses on full time and part time branches of the Faculty of History and Philosophy for educational levels of "Bachelor" and "Master", the speciality "History and Archeology". They also provide reading the standard course “History of Ukraine” on the majority of specialties at all faculties of the University.
The first educational level of high education "Bachelor" has following discipline:
- Introduction to historical science
- Historical geography
- Ancient and medieval history of Ukraine
- New History of Ukraine (mid XVII - XVIII centuries)
- History of Ukraine (XIX - early XX centuries).
- Modern history of Ukraine
For the first educational level of high education "bachelor" there is an educational program "History of Ukraine in the World Context", by which students of the Department become to study since the 2nd year in full time and part time branches of the Faculty of History and Philosophy.
The program includes the following disciplines:
- History of the Odessa (Novorossiysk) University
- Ukrainian source study and archeography
- History of the Ukrainian Cossacks and their world counterparts
- Modern problems of museology and tourism ethnography in Ukraine
- Basics of the scientific research
- Economic history of Ukraine in the world processes of the IX-XX centuries.
- History of religion and churches in Ukraine in national and European contexts
- History of education and science in Ukraine
- Ukrainian historiographical process in the context of the evolution of world science
- Political leaders of Ukraine of the twentieth century
- The phenomenon of totalitarianism, its manifestations and ways of overcoming in Ukraine
- History of ethnic (national) minorities in Ukraine
- History of the Ukrainian Diaspora
- History of the Press in Ukraine (end of the XVIII - early XXI century).
For the second educational level of high education"Master" disciplines are reading:
- • Actual problems of studying and teaching Ukrainian history.
- • History of Odessa in the late Middle Ages and modern times: the national and world context
- • Ukrainian component in special branches of historical science
- • Ukraine in the national and global integration processes
- • Christianity in the south of Ukraine
- • Political culture of the Ukrainian elite of the Middle Ages and modern times
Under the guidance of lecturers, courses and diploma work on actual problems of Ukrainian history are being prepared. The lecturers of the Department conduct archival, pedagogical and assistant practices.
Since 2016, the staff of the Department provides the reading of the following disciplines for educational-scientific level of high education "Doctor of Philosophy":
- • Modern achievements of historical science
- • Scientific activity of the Orthodox clergy in the context of the development of historical science
- • Research of local history of Ukraine, end of XVIII - beginning of XX century: personalities, historical reconstruction and interpretation
- • History of economic thought of Ukraine
- • Revolutions in the modern history of Ukraine in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
The Department has postgraduate and doctoral studies in the speciality “032” - History and
Scientific and International activity of the Department
Since the early XXI c. up to2015 the staff of the Department two scientific themes were being developed: 1. 2006-2010 - "History of Southern Ukraine in the National and European context";2. 2011-2015 - "Ukrainian Black Sea Region in Historical and Historiographical Contexts" (headed by Prof. Khmarsky V.M.) Since 2016 at the Department two scientific themes are being developed:1. "Modernization Processes in the Dnieper Ukraine: Socio-Economic Transformations, Traditions of European Integration, Intellectual Reflection" (headed by Prof. Bachinsky O.A.).2. "Ukrainian South: History, Texts, Historical Memory" (headed by Prof. Khmarsky V.M.).
Lectors of the Department have the acknowledgement of their scientific and educational achievements on all-Ukrainian and international levels.
Students and postgraduate students are actively involved in the scientific work of the Department of History of Ukraine. Annually their researches are realized in more than 30 publications in scientific editions of various levels. Since 2015, the students of specialization have begun publishing an annual student scientific collection "Ukrainian Porto-Franco".
The international activity of the Department is represented by contacts with scholars from Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, Germany and other countries, by receiving grants from the Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies, International Renaissance Foundation.
Teachers and students of the Department conduct excursions on the history of the native land and study in summer schools outside of Ukraine, rest and celebrate together the “Days of the Department”.
Graduates from the Department applied their knowledge in their professional career and found themselves in many professions and spheres of public life of the city of Odesa and Ukraine. For more information about the activity of the Department of History of Ukraine, news and methodical materials see: hist-ua.onu.edu.ua