Postal address: 650082 Odessa, ul. Dvoryanskaya, 2; Chair of Geometry and Topology, aud.101
The head professor Pokas Sergey Mihaylovich
Candidate of phys.-maths science, associated professor.
Honored Education Worker of Ukraine.
Works at Chair of Geometry and Topology since 1976.
Candidate Dissertation topic: “Isometric and conformal transformations in associated Riemann surfaces” (1984)
Bezkorovayna Liliya Leontyevna – Candidate of phys.-maths science, associated professor
Kurbatova Irina Nikolayevna – Candidate of phys.-maths science, associated professor
Potapenko Igor Vladimirovich – seniour professor
Krutogolova Alina Vitalijivna - seniour professor
Flora Tatyana Vladimirovna – seniour laborant
Geometry Chair (soon renamed into Chair of Geometry and Topology) was formed as department of Mechanics and Mathematics Faculty in 1963. From 1963 to 1989 it was headed by Sinyukov Nikolay Stepanovich (1925-1992, born in Penza),who came to work in Odessa University in 1955 after completing post-graduate course in University of Moscow. In 1971 he defended his PhD thesis “Theory of geodesic reflection of Riemann surfaces and its generalization”. This theory was based on ideas of V.F.Kagan about surfaces in tensor.
In 1984 Chair of Geometry and Topology held the “8th All-Union Scientific Conference of modern Geometry problems” in Odessa.
Svyatoslav Grigoryevich Leyko (1949-2010, born in s.Grabov) was the head of the Chair from 1988 to 2010. He defended his PhD thesis “Differencial Geometry of generalized geodesic reflection of polynomials” in 1998, where he developed the ideas of V.F.Kagan, M.S. Sinyukov and worked out a fundamentally new current in Geometry of Reflections based on variable tasks for functional of curves rotation in (pseudo)Riemann surfaces.
Since 2010 Sergey Mihaylovich Pokas ( born in 1950 in Odesa, graduate of the Chair of 1973) became the head of Chair of Geometry and Topology. In 1984 he defended Candidate thesis “Isometric and conformal transformations in associated Riemann surfaces”. In 2000 Pokas S.M. was instated as Excellent in Education of Ukraine, in 2004 – “Gratitude of prime-minister of Ukraine V.F.Yanukovich”, in 2006 – honorary title “Honored Education Worker of Ukraine”.
Since 2004 International Conference “Geometry in Odessa. Differential Geometry and its usage” takes place in Odessa annually. Chair of Geometry and Topology ONU actively participates in the Conference.
Chair of Geometry and Topology of Odessa I.I.Mechnikov National University is proud of having tight international scientific relations with outstanding geometricians within and outside of Ukraine, in particular:
- - rector of Tbilisi University, member of USSR Academy of Science Ilya Nesterovich Vekua;
- - professors of Lomonosov Moscow State University Nikolay Vladimirovich Efimov, Eduard Genrihovich Poznyak, Idjad Hakovich Sabitov;
- - academician of Harkov University Alekey Vasilyevich Pogorelov and his followers – doctors of phys.-maths science, professors Yuriy Ahmetovich Aminov, Anatoliy Dmitrievich Milka, Alexander Ivanovich Borisenko;
- - academician of University of Novosibirsk Alexander Danilovich Alexandrov;
- - professors of University of Rostov Valentin Trohimovich Fomenko (now working in Taganrog), Sergey Borisovich Klimentov;
- - professor of Kiev University Nikolay Ivanovich Kovancov.
The Chair has tight scientific contacts with University of Bucharest, where two scientific works were published in co-authorship:
- – E. Hirică, S. Leiko, L. Nicolescu, G. Рrіроае . Geometrie diferenţiala.Probleme. Aplicaţii. Bucureşti.- 1999.-456 p.
- – Leiko Sviatoslav, Balan Vladimir. Fuzzy sets and logic. Introduction to the Theory and Applications. Bucuresti: Printech, 2006.-150 р.
Over the years we keep maintaining scientific relations with a lot of Ukrainian and foreign universities, where our graduates have been working for a long time:
- - Yablonskaya N.V. – Honored Education Worker of Ukraine; pro-rector of scieb=ntific and educational work in K.D. Ushynsky South Ukrainian National Pedagogical University;
- - Mikesh Yoseph – professor of Chair of Algebra and Geometry of Olomouc University (Chech Republic)
- - Shandra I.G. – associated professor of Chair of Applied Mathematics of Financial University under the Government of the Russian Federation;
- - Dermanets (Vashpanova) N.V. – associated professor of Chair of Higher Mathematics in Odessa State Academy of Cold;
- - Sinyukova O.M. – associated professor of Chair of Algebra and Geometry of K.D. Ushynsky South Ukrainian National Pedagogical University;
- - Kovalyov P.I. – associated professor of Chair of Higher Mathematics of Institute of oil and Gas ( Tumen, Russia);
- - Mohsen Shiha, Sami Husein – PhD, Al-Baas University (Homs, Syria);
- - Raad Kadem – PhD, Applied University of Balka, Iordania;
- - Michelle Haddad – PhD,University of Damask, Syria;
Our recent graduates, young scientists
- - Fedchenko Y.S., Konovenko N.G. - candidates of phys.-maths science, professors of Chair of Higher Mathematics of Odessa National Academy of Food Technologies;
- - Grigoryeva T.I. – Candidate of technical science, associated professor of Chair of Higher Mathematics of Odessa National Academy of Communications by name of O.S.Popov;
- - Karmazina A.V. – professor of K.D. Ushynsky South Ukrainian National Pedagogical University;
- -Zubrilin K.M. – professor of Chair of Higher Mathematics of Feodosia Polytechnic Institute of Nikolaev University of Shipbuilding by name of admiral Makarov, AR Crimea;
- -Kirdoglo D. – financial analytic of International Bank GP Morgan (London)
Graduates of past years – candidates of phys.-maths science, professors and scientists with rich working experience: Esenov Kubatbek (Kyrgyzstan), Berezovskiy V.E., Kiosak V.A. and others.
Specialities offered to the students of our Chair
- - Mathematics
- - Mathematical Economics and Econometrics
- Analytic Geometry
- Differential Geometry
- Basic Geometry
- Geometry of Surfaces
- Riemannian Geometry
- Lie Groups
- Geometry of Polynomials
- Abstract Aggregation Theory
- Abstract Aggregations in Economics
- Basics of Vector and Tensor Analysis (Physics faculty)
- Analytic Geometry and Linear Algebra
- Higher Mathematics for Economists
- Possibility Theory and Mathematical Statistics (Economics and Law Faculty)
- Operations Research (Economics and Law Faculty)
- Tensor Calculus
- Differential Geometry for Tensors. Theory of Surfaces
- Endlessly Small Surface Deformations
- Special Sections of Differential Geometry
- Geodesic Deformations and Representations
- General Problems of Differential Geometry
- Riemann Surfaces to a Second Approximation
- Approximation Methods in Riemannian Geometry
- Geodesic Representations of Riemann Surfaces
- Graph Theory