Head of the department: Candidate of Philological Sciences, Associate Professor Lyudmyla Grinko
The Chair of Spanish Philology was created in order to meet the need for the preparation of teachers of the Spanish language for the Southern Region of Ukraine, of interpreters to work in Cuba and other countries of Latin America, as well as in state and diplomatic organizations at home and abroad. The majority of the first graduates of the Department worked as interpreters. Gradually the teaching of the Spanish language spread in the schools of Odessa, Mykolayiv and Kherson regions, where the graduates of the Spanish Department were sent to work. There were years when the graduates were designed to work on the all-Union and international scale.
Today the body of the department consists of 12 people (11 lecturers and 1 laboratory assistants).
Teaching at the chair
- Lyudmyla Grinko, Associate Professor, PhD
- Alejandro Nicevich, Associate Professor
- Olena Grygorovych, PhD
- Liudmila Shuppe, PhD
- Natalia Ivanova, PhD
- Viktoriya Veschytska, Senior Lecturer
- Tatiana Kolbayenkova, Senior Lecturer
- Kateryna Krasnitska, Assistant
- Tatiana Romanovska, Assistant
- Katerina Bondarenko, Assistant
- Ariadna Mishchuk, Assistant
Spanish Department at the faculty of Romano-Germanic Philology of the Odessa National University was founded in 1963. That year 10 students entered the day courses of the faculty. The Department was founded as a section at the Chair of French Philology due to the personal enthusiasm of the head of the chair Aksentiy Aksentiyovych Grytsenko, Candidate of Philological Sciences, Associate Professor.
The first lecturers of the section were Zinaida Leonidivna Kryzhanivska, graduate of the Leningrad university, and Neonila Petrivna Prykhodko, graduate of a medical school, native speaker of Spanish who had lived in Argentina for more than 20 years.
In 1964 students were inscribed at the faculty for day, evening and correspondence courses.
The staff of the section grew, thus the new lecturers were Oleksiy Ivanovych Matviychyk, Nina Pylypivna Trukhachova, Georgiy Leontiyovych Kholomanyuk, Anatoliy Oleksandrovych Verbin, Volodymyr Maksymovych Fetisov (graduates of the Leningrad and Voronezh Universities), Nadiya Leontiivna Yakovlyuk, graduate of a medical school, native speaker of Spanish who had lived in Argentina for over 20 years.
In 1967 the section was given status of a Chair of Spanish Philology. The first head of the Chair was Vitaliy Semenovych Sorbale, Candidate of Philological Sciences, Associate Professor, dialectologist.
In 1968 the first 10 day course students of the Spanish Department graduated from the Faculty. Since that year Lyudmyla Mykhaylivna Polna and Svitlana Ivanivna Kremynska started working at the Chair. In 1969 the graduate Alekhandro Oleksiyovych Nitsevich started lecturing at the Chair.
In 1974 due to the transfer of professor V.S. Sorbale to the Chernivtsi University Zinaida Kryzhanivska became head of the Chair.
Since 1984 Kostyantyn Andriyovych Khrystya, the first graduate of the Chair to become Candidate of Philological Sciences, was head of the Chair.
In 1986 the Chair of Spanish Philology and the Chair of Classical Philology were united into the Chair of Classical and Spanish Philology, headed by the former Head of the Chair of Classical Philology Teofil Ivanovych Oliynyk.
In such state the Chair existed till 1998, but since 1991 it was headed by a graduate of the Spanish Department Volodymyr Vasylyovych Shishkov, Candidate of Philological Sciences, Associate Professor. According to the decision of the Scientific Council of the University of 7.09.1998, the Chair of the Spanish Philology came to exist again as a separate unit of the Faculty of Romance and Germanic Philology.
Due to the transfer of Volodymyr Shishkov to the Kyiv National University in 2002, the duties of the Head of the Chair were carried out by Lyudmyla Ivanivna Demyanova, Candidate of Philological Sciences, Associate Professor, who lectured at the chair of the Theory and Practice of Translation (until 01.09.2004).
Since 01.09.2004 Lyudmyla Vitaliivna Grinko, Candidate of Philological Sciences, Associate Professor, has been head of the Chair.
Scientific and Methodological Activity
The Chair has been working on the elaboration of the complex scientific subject under the supervision of L.V. Grinko, Candidate of Philological Sciences, Associate Professor, namely “Cognitive and Mentalist Aspects of Investigation of Functional and Semantic Peculiarities of Units of Various Levels – Lexical, Morphological, Syntactic – of the Spanish Language and of their Mutual Functioning in Sentence and Text”.
The subject of scientific and methodological investigation by the Chair’s lecturers is mostly related to the specialization of the Chair and occupies a vast circle of problems in the sphere of Methodology of Spanish Language Teaching, Stylistics, Lexicology, Communication Theory, Theoretical Phonetics and Theoretical Grammar, Theory and Practice of Translation. Thus, L.V. Grinko dedicates her investigations to the problems of creation of language communication in the principal types of speech activity. Asst. Prof. A. Nitsevich investigates the artistic idiolect of Spanish and Hispanic writers and the means of its translation into Russian and Ukrainian, the Lecturer Grigorovich O.V., N.L. Yakovlyuk is an expert in the sphere of Methodological problems of Spanish Language.
Some lecturers of the Chair are doing postgraduate studies: V.O. Veshchytska – of the day form of studies.
Since 01.09.2007 Volodymyr Shishkov has returned to the staff of the Chair.
Lecturers and Postgraduate Students of the Chair take active part in the annual scientific conference of professors and lecturers of the University as well as in international conferences scientific and practical conferences. The results of their participation is reflected in scientific articles and essays.
Over the period of 2002-2007 the Chair’s Lecturers elaborated 13 methodological editions, including one with the stamp of the Ministry of Higher Educational Establishments.
- L.V. Grinko, Methodological Notes on Spanish Studies (“Los Datos Geográficos de España”), in Spanish.
- A.O. Nitsevich, Brief Notes on Stylistics.
- A.O. Nitsevich, Glossary of Physiological Terms (Glosario de términos fisiológicos)
- A.O. Nitsevich, Methodological Notes on Home Reading for 3rd year students. “Doña Perfecta” by Benito Pérez Galdós.
- A.O. Nitsevich, Practice of Stylistics in Spanish (“Prácticas estilísticas en español”). Under the stamp of the Ministry of Higher Educational Establishments.
- A.O. Nitsevich, Methodological Notes on Home Reading for 5th year students. “El Inglés de los Güesos” by Benito Lynch.
- A.O. Nitsevich, Translation from Spanish into Russian and Ukrainian (Theory and Practice).
- A.O. Nitsevich, Practice of Translation from Spanish into Russian and Ukrainian.
- A.O. Nitsevich, G.M. Sosnytska, N.L. Yakovlyuk. Methodological notes on commenting the texts by Spanish and Hispanic authors.
- G.M. Sosnytska, Notes on Lexicology.
- G.M. Sosnytska, Methodological Notes on System Analysis of Lexis.
- T.B. Kolbayenkova, Methodological Notes on General Political Lexis.
- V.A. Veshytska, Methodological Notes on Linguistic and Stylistic Text Analysis for 5th year students of the Department of English Philology.
- C. ph. s. Associate Professor L. V. Grinko and postgraduate-student V.O. Veshchytska “The Modern Grammar Currents” The summery of lectures for the fifth-year students of the day form of studies and sixth-year students of correspondence form of studies.
The Chair has traditionally maintained cooperation with Higher Educational Establishments and public, cultural institutions in Spain and other countries abroad. In 2005 the Deputies Council of the Autonomy of Valencia, the Department for Cultural Affairs, donated literature in the Spanish language for the improvement of the quality of teaching. Since 2006, Sergio Vidal Carretero, Lecturer from Spain, has been working at the Chair on the basis of the Agreement between the University and the Spanish Agency for International Cooperation (AECI).
In the autumn of 2004 the chair became one of the few centers of the DELE exam, in co-operation with the Cervantes Institute in Warsaw and Spanish Embassy in Kyiv. In November 2004 the first DELE exam was held on the base of the Spanish Chair. The DELE exams (International Spanish Language Certificate) are held twice a year. In 2018 the chair also became the center for another international exam, SIELE.
In order to Improve the studying process at the Department and at the Faculty and to widen the cooperation with studying and investigation centers in Spain the Chair regularly invites Spanish speakers to lecture at the Chair. During the recent years the chair has been visited by such delegations and lecturers:
- Joan Gregori Berenguer, Head of the Valencia Archeological Museum, Lectures on Ancient History of Spain. Lectures on Contemporary Economic and Social Situation in Spain. November 2004.
- Jose Elias Quesada, Mexican Entrepreneur, Lectures on Mexican Culture and Peculiarities of Mexican Spanish, 2005-2006.
- Group of Deputies of Diputacion de Valencia, Donated a Library to the Chair of Spanish Philology and contributed to the creation of the Centre of Hispanic Culture in the Odessa National University. May 27, 2008 the exposition “The Holidays of Valencia” (The Literature Museum) and “The Resort Centre of Spanish Culture” (The Roman-Germanic Faculty, which was developed thanks to the sponsorship of the president of The Government of Valencia Alfonso Rus Trol and the deputy of culture Vicente Ferrera Romello) were inaugurated.
- According to the Memorandum signed between the Odessa National University and the AECI (Spanish Agency of International Cooperation) of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, from September 1, 2006, a lecturer from Spain Sergio Vidal Carretero is teaching at the Chair.
- May 30, 2008 professor German Conde Terrio (University of Santiago de Compostela), professor Julia Cellilla Muños and professor Maria Sardelli gave lectures about Spanish Paramilogy.
- Professor Miguel Angel de la Fuente Gonzalez (University Centre of Palencia, Valladolid) with a course of lectures on Spanish language and literature “The short poetry en Spanish”, “Some actual Spanish poets”, “The sign of “joker” as coma in Spanish”, May, 2018.
Until 2001 the Chair of Spanish Philology prepared specialists in teaching the Spanish language and literature for secondary schools. Since 2001 it has been preparing specialists – bachelors (‘bakalavr’) and masters (‘magistr’) for secondary and higher educational establishments. The Chair has provided teaching of Spanish as a second Major at other departments of the Faculty of Romance and Germanic Philology (mostly at the department of English Philology), as well as of Spanish as optional subject for students of any department of the Faculty.
The Chair’s Address
Room 163 в, Frantsuzkiy Bulvar 24/26,
65058 Odessa, Ukraine
telephone (048) 748 06 58