Department of French philology
Marinashvili Malvina, head of the Chair, associate professor, candidate of philological sciences
At present the staff of the Chair consists of 9 members:
full professor - 1, associate professors - 7, senior lecturers - 1
Staff of the Chair
- Marinashvili Malvina, head of the Chair, associate professor, candidate of philological sciences
- Osinna Olha, senior lecturer
- Dragomyretskyy Oleksiy, associate professor, candidate of philological sciences
- Knyazyan Mariana, full professor, doctor of pedagogical sciences
- Kokkina Lilita, associate lecturer, candidate of philological sciences
- Mlynchik Andriy, associate professor, candidate of philological sciences
- Panchenko Inna, associate professor, candidate of philological sciences
- Teletska Tetiana, associate professor, candidate of philological sciences
- Vesna Tetiana, associate professor, candidate of philological sciences
- Agayeva Olga, senior secretary
The Chair of French philology prepares bachelors, specialists, masters of philology, teachers and lecturers of the French and English languages and literatures for secondary and higher school. The Chair also provides teaching French as a second or third foreign language at other chairs of the faculty of Romano-Germanic Philology and at the faculty of international economics of the Institute of mathematics, economics and mechanics.
The students of the Chair of French philology participate successfully in the students’ scientific conferences, the national Olympiads in French and international competitions of poetic translation. The Chair of French philology was founded in 1936, when the faculty of the French language was established at the Odessa Pedagogical Institute of Foreign Languages. The Chair of French philology has existed in Odessa I.I.Mechnikov State University since 1960, when Odessa Pedagogical Institute of Foreign Languages joined the university as "the faculty of Romance and Germanic Philology". From 1968 to 1995 lecturers from France worked at the chair. Since 1996, French trainees – specialists in French as a foreign language, has provided teaching at the chair according to an agreement between Odessa I.I.Mechnikov State University and French Embassy in Ukraine. Such specialists as Sophie Maillot, Emmanuelle Ginès, Manuel Bettoni, Nicolas Potreau, Sylvère Forge, Olivia Durand, Kevin Vignerot and others have worked at the chair.
Since 2000 a French-speaking students’ theatre has existed at the Chair. The theatre takes part in annual international theatre festivals. Its performances, actors and the level of proficiency in French have been constantly praised by the jury of festivals. It was awarded a special prize for the best theatrical performance at the All-Ukrainian competition of the francophone theatre companies in Kiev (2001), the 1st prize and a trip to France to the International Theatre Festival in Saint-Louis (2006), the 2nd prize for best directing at the National Theatre Festival "Mriy-Dim" in Priluki, Chernihiv region. In 2014, the theatre took part in the International Festival in Dnepropetrovsk, where the performance "Les femmes de la Barbe Bleue" was awarded the 2nd prize.
From the 1st to the 5th of June 2015 the students’ theater “Liberté” was taking part in the second International Theatre Festival of students’ Francophone theaters, held in Poznan (Poland). For the performance «Adajio» (Emanuelle del Piane) the troupe was invited to visit the theater “Rideau de Bruxelles” (Belgium) during the 2015 – 2016 season.
The teaching staff of the Chair of French philology, post-graduates and students develop the scientific research entitled “System and cognitive-discursive study of the Romance languages".
On the 17th – 18th of September 2015 the Fifth National Conference of specialists in Romance philology “Structural-semantic and cognitive-discursive paradigms of modern Romance Linguistics" was held. It was devoted to the 150th anniversary of Odessa I.I. Mechnikov National University and the 55th anniversary of the Faculty of Romance and Germanic Philology and the 55th anniversary of the department.
The following special courses based on the results of scientific research are taught by the Chair at present:
1. Synthesis, Analysis and Resume of the Francophone Text (associate professor, candidate of philological sciences Mlynchik A.)
2. Features of Francophone Written Communication (associate professor, candidate of philological sciences Kokkina L.)
3. Assessment and Certification in the Methodology of Teaching Foreign Languages (professor, doctor of pedagogical sciences Knyazyan M.)
4. Intercultural Communication (associate professor, candidate of philological sciences Vesna T.)
5. Organisation of Research Work (associate professor, candidate of philological sciences Marinashvili M.)
6. Business French (senior lecturer, candidate of philological sciences Demyanovа N.)
During the period from 2002 to 2014 the following members of staff defended their PhD theses:
1. Весна Т.В. "Идеологический и национально-культурный компоненты в семантической структуре лексики политического дискурса (на материале франко- и русскоязычной прессы 90-х годов)"
2. Рулёва Е.А. "Номинативный аспект детской речи (на материале французского, новогреческого, английского и украинского языков)"
3. Удовенко И.В. "Структурно-семантические и функциональные особенности французских интенсификаторов процессуального признака"
4. Телецкая Т.В. "Предметная модальность и модальность достоверности в языке и речи (на материале украинского, русского, французского и английского языков)"
5. Драгомирецкий А.А. "Семантические типы и структура референции высказываний гипотетической модальности (на материале французского, английского и украинского языков)"
6. Браницкая Я.В. "Гастронимы в современном французском языке: когнитивно-ономасиологический аспект"
7. Коккина Л.Р. "Способы выражения семантической категории пассивности в оригинале и переводе (на материале украинских переводов французских художественных текстов)"
8. Демьянова Н.А. "Лингвистическая структура и гендерные особенности обращений в украинском и французском языках"
International Activity of the Chair
The Chair of French philology keeps old traditions of cooperation with universities and cultural-educational organizations of France.
The staff of the Chair participated in the creation of the association Alliance Française in the city of Odessa in 1991. The presidents of Alliance Française were associate professors of the Chair: Mr Gritzenko and Mr Mlynchik.
Currently the Chair continues active cooperation with Alliance Française in Odessa.
Thanks to the French Embassy in Ukraine the Chair of French philology has a rich collection of scientific, educational and fiction literature.
The teaching staff, postgraduates and students have possibilities to participate on competitive basis in scientific and linguistic trainings in France and to get scholarships of the French Embassy to attend scientific and professional trainings in France: University of Provence Aix-Marseille 1 (France), University of Lorraine in Metz (France), Azurlingua language school in Nice (France).
Close relationships with the Alliance Française and the International Cultural Association "French without Borders" allow French-speaking students to improve their language skills by training in international summer camps and language schools in France.
The staff of the Chair contributes to the modernization of the educational methods of teaching French in the higher school. They take part in methodological workshops organized every year by the French Embassy in Ukraine.
The members of the Chair of French philology are members of the International and Ukrainian associations of French teachers, and of the national Association de la Francophonie.
The Chair serves as a coordinator of cooperation between University departments and The Agence universitaire de la Francophonie (AUF, http://www.auf.org/bureau-europe-centrale-et-orientale/), its Central and East European department.
The Agence’s programmes concern students, lecturers and researchers. They provide support of mobility, funding contacts between the universities – members of the Agence universitaire de la Francophonie, sponsoring conferences, seminars, including distance education, professional and scientific trainings, general management of PhD dissertations and students’ researches.
12 September 2014 the Ambassador of the French Republic in Ukraine, Mr Alain Remy awarded Mr Alexander Garachuk, senior lecturer of the Chair and Vice President of Alliance Française, the National Order of Merit for the popularization of French culture in Ukraine.
On the 12th – 13th of October 2015 the seminar on the problems of teaching French as a foreign language for teachers of higher educational institutions in southern Ukraine, organized by the French Embassy in Ukraine was held on the Department of French Philology.