THE CHAIR OF FOREIGN LANGUAGES
OF THE SCIENCE FACULTIES
The Head of Chair – Candidate of Philological sciences, Аssociate Professor Vasylchenko Elena
HISTORICAL BACKGROUND OF THE CHAIR
The history of the foreign languages teaching at Odessa I. I. Mechnikov National University starts from1960s – from the year of foundation of the Faculty of Romance and Germanic Philology on the basis of Odessa Pedagogical University of Foreign Languages. Associate Professor V.G. Shatuh became the first head of the Chair of Foreign Languages. As a separate unit in the Faculty of Romance and Germanic Languages the Chair of Foreign Languages for Science Faculties appeared in the middle of 80s as a result of division of the Basic Chair of Foreign Languages into two parts: the Chair of Foreign Languages for the Arts Faculties and the Chair of Foreign Languages for Science faculties, which was being headed by Associate Professor M.W. Yatsiy for twenty years. In 2005 the superintendence was given to Associate Professor N. V. Petlyuchenko. In 2006 Associate Professor L. G. Kirichenko became the head of the Chair. Since September 2013 the Head of the Chair is Candidate of Philological Sciences, Associate Professor E. G. Vasiltchenko.
Today the Chair comprises three sections:
- the English language (the Head of the Section – Candidate of Psychological sciences, Associate Professor Anatoliy Kononenko);
- the German language (the Head of the Section – Candidate of Philological sciences, Associate Professor Nataliya Didenko);
- the Latin language (the Head of the section – Senior lecturer Larisa Mironova).
Since 2012, the scientific theme of the chair is “The Investigation and the Implementation in Educational Process of Modern Foreign Languages Teaching Models for Professional Purposes.” Scientific advisor of the theme is Candidate of Pedagogical Sciences, Associate Professor N. O. Khalilova-Kostyuk. The theme of the research and methodological work comprises a large range of problems in the sphere of Germanic philology, teaching foreign languages methodology, theory of translation, and phonetics. More than thirty years Associate Professor N. O. Khalilova-Kostyuk, Associate Professor L. N. Rusakova, Senior lecturer I. V. Ship have been working at our Chair. I. Ship has developed Linguistic Country-Studying Course. On the initiative of Associate Professor L. B. Kotlyarova, since 2002, the Faculty of Biology holds the English conference of students and young teachers of the faculty «Microbiology in Touch with Life». At the same time there was organized a group of students-translators of the Faculty of Biology who take an active part in the International University Conferences. The lecturer Nina Lyubimova is an experienced literary translator, has included this aspect in the course of teaching. The lecturer Olena Rumyantseva develops University technical base and cooperates with Mechanics and Mathematics Faculty.
Today, the chair stuff consists of 21 lecturers of English, German and Latin. Many young specialists who are actively participate in the research work, replenish lecturer’s and professor's stuff of the Faculty of Romance and Germanic Philology. The lecturers of the 60s left us rich experience, a lot of scientific methodologic manuals and wonderful traditions. The main thing – they have created an atmosphere of friendliness and creativity, that we wish to keep and pass on to all following generations.
STAFF OF THE CHAIR:
Currently the work of the Chair of Foreign Languages for the Science Faculties is done by 21 lecturers, among them:
6 candidates of philological sciences, associate professors;
2 candidates of pedagogical sciences, associate professors;
1 candidate of psychological sciences, associate professor;
1 candidate of philological sciences, lecturer;
5 senior lecturers;
1 laboratory assistant:
1. Bilotserkovets Alla Vl., lecturer;
2. Vasylchenko Elena G., the Head of the Chair, candidate of philological sciences, associate professor;
3. Garcheva Iryna Ol., candidate of philological sciences, lecturer;
4. Grigorash Viktoriya, co-aspirant, lecturer;
5. Didenko Natalya M., candidate of philological sciences, associate professor;
6. Dolbina Karine Dv., lecturer;
7. Kononenko Anatoliy Ol., candidate of psychological sciences, associate professor;
8. Kotliarova Luiza Bol., candidate of pedagogical sciences, associate professor;
9. Lyubymova Nina L., lecturer;
10. Markina Maryna V., lecturer;
11. Myronova Larysa Anat., senior lecturer;
12. Rumyantseva Olena Anat., senior lecturer;
13. Rusakova Lubov M., candidate of philological sciences, associate professor;
14. Sydoruk Olga Yu., lecturer;
15. Stratulat Lyudmila Ol., senior lecturer;
16. Tkachenko Anna Vl., candidate of philological sciences, associate professor;
17. Fomin Borys M., candidate of philological sciences, associate professor;
18. Frumkina Aryna L., lecturer;
19. Khalilova-Kostiuk Natalia Ol., candidate of pedagogical sciences, associate professor;
20. Shyp Iryna V., senior lecturer;
21. Yagremtseva Anastasiya Ol., lecturer.
GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS OF THE CHAIR:
Foreign languages for specific purposes
The main purposeof teaching foreign languages due to professional direction is language acquisition not only as an informative way, but also the use of language as means of communication in professionally-oriented communicative situations of future professional activity.
The purpose ofclasses in foreign languages at the University of professional direction – is the development of linguistic competence activities in daily, general business and professional situations.
The principlesas methodical and didactical basis determine with the aims of foreign languages studies and is the foundation of approaches to planning the course of a foreign language, the formation of its contents and methods of assessing progress in the process of language acquisition.
Future experts must haveprofessional competence, because the professional knowledge expresses a certain linguistic and social activities, as well as professional language related on the one hand, with communication, typical of many areas of man- professional activity, and, on the other hand, – with a specific professional communication. Professionally-oriented educational process prepares students to stay abroad and in the countries for training or professional practice passing.
Our address is:
Room 159a, French Boulevard, 24/26,
Ukraine, Odessa, 65058.
Tel.: + 38 (0482) 63-57-45