Department of Physics Faculty
Dean Doctor of Science in Physics and Mathematics, Professor Yuri F. Vaksman
Presentation of the faculty
|Department of Astronomy
Chairman: Doctor of Science in Physics and Mathematics, Professor Sergei M. Andrievskii
|Department of General and Chemical Physics
Chairman: Doctor of Science in Physics and Mathematics, Professor Vladimir G. Shevchuk
|Department of Theoretical Physics
Chairman: Doctor of Science in Physics and Mathematics, Professor Vadim M. Adamyan
|Department of Thermal Physics
Chairman: Doctor of Science in Physics and Mathematics, Professor Valeri V. Kalinchak
|Department of Solid State Physics
Chairman: Doctor of Science in Physics and Mathematics, Professor Olexandr O. Ptaschenko
|Department of Experimental Physics
Chairman: Honored Science and Engineering Worker of Ukraine, Member of Academy of Science of Higher School, Doctor of Science in Physics and Mathematics, Professor Valentin A. Smyntyna
The Faculty offers three programs where the students study for one of the following degrees:
- Bachelor of Science
- Specialist of Science
- Master of Science
The Faculty gives two majors:
The students are enrolled into seven sections:
- Management of Science and High Technologies
- Computer-Aided Physics
- Medical Physics, Diagnostic and Therapeutic Equipment
- Research-and-Production Section
- Teachers Section
- Stellar Physics and Cosmology
- Cosmic Geoinformation Technologies
The training is provided by the Departments of the Faculty in the following six specialties:
- Physics of Semiconductors and Dielectrics – by the Department of Experimental Physics
- Chemical Physics – by the Department of General and Chemical Physics
- Thermal Physics of Disperse Systems and Physics of Low-Temperature Plasma – by the Department of Thermal Physics
- Physics of Solid State and Solid-State Electronics – by the Department of Solid State Physics
- Theoretical Physics – by the Department of Theoretical Physics
- Astrophysics – by the Department of Astronomy
All the departments also offer Ph. D. courses and promote favorable conditions for those pursuing the Doctor of Science degree.
There are two Dissertation Councils where Ph. D. and doctoral theses in the following six specialties are defended:
- 01.04.02 – Theoretical Physics
- 01.04.05 – Optics and Laser Physics
- 01.04.10 – Physics of Semiconductors and Dielectrics
- 01.04.14 – Thermal and Molecular Physics
- 01.04.17 – Chemical Physics, Physics of Combustion and Explosion
- 04.03.02 – Astrophysics and Radio Astronomy
The Faculty of Physics was founded together with the University in1865. At that moment, it comprised two departments, the Department of Physics and Physiography and the Department of Astronomy. Experimental studies were carried out in the two rooms of the departments.
In1920, after implementation of a reform of the Higher Education System, the Faculty of Physics was merged with that of Mathematics to form a basis for the Physico-Mathematical Institute. In1921, the Institute was joined to the Institute of Public Education.
In1930, the Institute of Public Education was transformed into the Institute of Physics, Mathematics, and Chemistry. When the University was reinstated in its status in1933, the Faculty renewed an active training of specialists at its newly-formed Departments of Experimental Physics, X–Ray Physics, and Theoretical Physics.
In1936, the Faculty of Physics and that of Mathematics were merged into the Physico-Mathematical Faculty.
Since1960, the Faculty of Physics has existed as a separate unit of the University.
Some of the outstanding scientists who used to work at the Faculty were F. N. Shvedov, M. A. Umov, A. V. Bogatskii, V. P. Tsesevich, V. V. Serdyuk..
The Faculty of Physics Odessa National University
42, Pastera Street, Odessa 65023, UKRAINE
Tel/fax: (048) 723-63-02