What is Applied Mathematics?
it is a branch of mathematics that deals with mathematical methods that find use in science, engineering, business, computer science, industry and so on (that is, “in applications”). Thus, applied mathematics is a combination of mathematical science and specialized knowledge. Nowadays, solving a variety of complicated problems is not just about knowledge and understanding of modern technologies. You cannot construct a qualitative mathematical model, choose a rational algorithm to solve it, or make computer implementation of a model without profound mathematical knowledge, abstract and non-standard thinking.
What are the advantages of education in applied mathematics?
- solid mathematical background
- ability to use mathematical methods in various applied fields (economics, finance, business, technology, biology, medicine, ecology)
- mastery of modern programming languages
- knowledge and understanding of information technology
- ability to find a rational solution to any practical problems
- ability to learn new things quickly, navigate the information flow
- ability to "see further than others"
- opportunity to change our world for the better
What are my career opportunities?
- software developer, software architect
- data scientist
- machine learning engineer
- quality assurance engineer
- project manager
- database administrator
- system administrator
- analyst, business analyst, financial analyst, quantitative analyst, marketing analyst, consulting analyst, management analyst, actuary
- operations research analyst
- career in academia