Head of the department – Doctor of Historical Sciences, Full Professor OLENA V. SMYNTYNA
- Doctor of Historical Sciences, Full Professor, Head of the department SMYNTYNA Olena V.
- Doctor of Historical Sciences, Professor KUSHNIR Viacheslav H.
- Doctor of Historical Sciences, Full Professor DZYHOVSKYI Oleksandr M.
- Doctor of Historical Sciences, Professor IVANOVA Svitlana V.
- Doctor of Historical Sciences, Associate Professor PRIHARIN Oleksandr A.
- Candidate of Historical Sciences, Associate Professor PETROVA Nataliia O.
- Candidate of Historical Sciences, Associate Professor SHABASHOV Andrii V.
- Candidate of Historical Sciences, Associate Professor STOIANOVA Halyna M.
- Candidate of Historical Sciences, Associate Professor KIOSAK Dmytro V.
Educational and training activity
All academic disciplines delivered by the department of archaeology and ethnology of Ukraine staff members is designed in frames of ECTS and is guaranteed by the full set of educational materials and deliverables, including academic and work programs, manuals and textbooks, packages of individual tasks, modular control tasks and tests. Over 80 unique lecture courses on acute problems of archaeology and ethnology of Ukraine had been developed and successfully performed by the Department academic staff members at the Faculty of History as well as at other branches of Odessa I.I. Mechnikov National University. All these courses are based on the actual field work and reflect main directions of scientific research of the Department staff members.
Scientific and research work
The main directions of research work of the department of archaeology and ethnology of Ukraine are:
- theory of environmental history and archaeology (Full Professor Olena V. Smyntyna);
- archaeological investigations of Late Palaeolithic and Mesolithic sites (Full Professor Olena V. Smyntyna, Associate Professor Dmytro V. Kiosak);
- Scythian and Sarmatian and Ancient archaeology (Full Professor Oleksandr M. Dzyhovskyi);
- archaeology of paleometal epoch and social reconstructions in archaeology (Professor Svitlana V. Ivanova);
- history of archaeological science (Full Professor Olena V. Smyntyna);
- the study of material culture and way of life of Ukrainians of Southeastern Podolia and Dobrogea (Professor Viacheslav H. Kushnir, Associate Professor Nataliia O. Petrova, Associate Professor Halyna M. Stoianova);
- study of ethnic and confessional identity of Russian Old Believers of Ukraine, Romania and Bulgaria (Associate Professor Oleksandr A. Priharin);
- study of ethnic culture of the Balkan ethnic communities (Associate Professor Andrii V. Shabashov);
- study of traditional ritual of varied ethnic population of South-Western Ukraine.
- «The study of ancient history of the North-Western Black Sea: a multidisciplinary approach» (2012-2016). Project leader – Doctor of Historical Sciences, Full Professor Olena V. Smyntyna.
- «Ethnic history and traditional culture of the population of the South of Ukraine» (2014-2018). Project leader – Doctor of Historical Sciences, Professor Viacheslav H. Kushnir.
- «Displays of ethnicity in cross-cultural relations of Odessa region population» (2014-2018). Project leader – Doctor of Historical Sciences, Associate Professor Oleksandr A. Priharin.
More detailed information about Department, its academic activity and scientific research can be found at the official website of the Department of Archaeology and Ethnology of Ukraine: http://ae.onu.edu.ua